Episode #193 – United Passions

On this episode we uncharacteristically talk sports, specifically futbol, as we watched the definitely-not-about-a-corrupt-organization FIFA film, United Passions. And who better to join us as we wade into these unfamiliar waters than sports expert and Flop House nemesis, David Kalan.  Elliott introduces us to the American Bean Council mascot, Stuart coins an all-new word, Dan instructs you on sportsball Fisher Stevens cosplay, and David tells us a fascinating story about Executive Decision.

Shaolin Soccer
Steve Jobs
The Battered Bastards of Baseball
Beasts of No Nation
Sicario
Beau Geste

These adult men love to watch kids play soccer.

These adult men love to watch kids play soccer.

Wikipedia entry for United Passions

NEW LIVE SHOW!

After selling the first show out, we added a second show at The Bell House on 1/16/2016. Doors at 6, show at 6:30. $12. TICKETS.

(If you already got tickets to the one on Friday, please hold off a few days on buying additional tickets, so that those who weren’t as fortunate get a chance to get in.)

Tags: , , , , , ,

December 12th, 2015

Here’s a letter for your mailbag: Q.

Enjoy.

2. Nik says:

I haven’t listened to the show yet, but I’m very excited to hear David Kalan’s Executive Decision story. What could it be? How mad will it make Elliot? Only time will tell!

3. Tim says:

David Kalan has been freed. And they say online activism doesn’t accomplish anything…

4. 3Bagger says:

Tim Roth did an AMA today on Reddit and someone asked him about “United Passions.” His response was refreshingly candid – even he knows it’s a bad movie. You can view it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3xdzcw/im_tim_roth_i_star_in_tarantinos_the_hateful/cy3swuu

5. cc says:

Tim Roth just dished a little bit about regretting taking his role as Sepp Blatter. Sounds like it was what is known to the Flophouse as a C.G.:

“The film is awful (can’t say that because I haven’t seen it) I hated doing it, it was the wrong film but for the right reasons. I had two kids in college so I had to make a decision and it was probably poorly judged, but once you make that decision you have to follow through. It’s a hard road, being in something you don’t want to do, but I’m glad I did it for my family.

As for Fifa I thought the movie would be much more about the corruption of this guy at first. I don’t know if he is going to go down, he seems to have survived everything that has been thrown at him. There doesn’t seem to be any way you can get to them because of all those big corporations behind him. It looks the most promising though now though, it looks like he is a on a back foot now because he looks more exposed then he has ever been in the past.”

6. Ebby says:

Congrats guys on making the 2015 AV Club Readers’ Poll Best Podcast List in the #1 spot, as well as coming in second in Best Podcast Episode for Fateful Findings! I’m sure you can attribute all this success to Neil Breen’s pecs.

7. Other Chris says:

David was great! You should have him on more often!

8. Gzoref says:

The thing that Arnold Schwarzenegger was in where he goes to Brazil is essentially just a really long infomercial for Carnival in Rio. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uerFZ2Z42nc