Episode #228 – Collateral Beauty

We discuss Will Smith’s spiritual sequel to Seven Pounds, Collateral Beauty. Meanwhile, Stu unveils his hot new nickname, Elliott tries to get Keira Knightly’s attention, and the less said about Dan in this episode, the better.

“Augh, they’ve cut us up into little squares! It hurts so much! Aaah!”

Wikipedia synopsis for Collateral Beauty

Wonder Boys
Get Out
Promise

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

April 1st, 2017

Collateral Beauty must be the beauty that you put at rush if you want to go to, I guess, the Beauty Bank to borrow some more beauty. Because it takes beauty to make beauty?

Risk. Not rush. Ahhh!

3. Sam says:

New game: before listening to the episode look at recommendations and try to guess who recommended what. Here are mine:

Wonder Boys (Dan; based on subject matter this goes to pervezoid #1)

Get Out (Stuart; the resident expert on the horror genre)

Promise (Elliott; process of elimination, also he has a long history of taping movies off of TV)

4. Adam says:

RE: Condiment King-

He does indeed exist, and as Dan surmised was a joke villain they created for the Batman animated series.

5. C says:

“Studio Jibbly”? What is wrong with you people?

6. C says:

Strange that Elliott would be afraid that a tweet mentioning Zen Buddhism would somehow be racist but had no qualms about reducing Japan’s culture to tea and bowing when discussing Milo and Otis.

Also, the best cut of Blade Runner is the workprint, placeholder score in the second half notwithstanding. No voiceover, but it does have Deckard’s crucial spoken lines during the Esper scene that were bafflingly excised from the Director’s and Final cuts. Better pacing, too.

• Sam says:

I got the impression that Elliott self-censored, he did not tell the actual joke he was worried was racist.

• Elliott Kalan says:

I did feel bad doing stereotypical Japanese culture jokes when we were talking about Milo and Otis. My brain wasn’t working fast enough to make a joke about Otis being a novelist/filmmaker who takes over a military base and tries to get the soldiers to rebel before committing seppuku. Or, you know, some other deeper cut of Japanese culture/history.

7. Ezekiel says:

I’ve been really looking forward to this one. Even before it came out when I saw the trailer I thought “I hope this is as bad as it looks so we get a Flophouse on it”, and here we are.

8. nope says:

Missed Joke: “Collateral Beauty” – even more painful than “Collateral Murder”

9. Joe Gunch says:

I just saw a certain someone on a certain cult TV show….

….it was me! My Kickstarter Backer name made it to the credits on MST3K! Yup, just me, no one else that I recognized at all.

10. When I was listening to this show, I thought you were saying Michael Biehn (not Michael Pena). Then I went to IMDB and realized I was getting it wrong. I had gotten so excited because I have always loved Michael Biehn. A guy that never quite hit the bigtime. I would love to hear the peaches pontificate on an actor that missed the boat somehow.